Have you been hearing the buzz about drinking Golden Milk to cure almost everything? This beverage’s main ingredient is turmeric, the spice that is responsible for the yellow color of many curry dishes. In the clinic, our patients who experiment with taking turmeric for chronic pain have had great results. Turmeric’s active component, curcumin, has over 600 health benefits ranging from anti-inflammatory to anti-carcinogenic. It has been used to promote digestive health, regulate metabolism and weight, maintain cholesterol levels, boost memory and brain function and boost immunity. So now that we’ve established that everyone over the age of 5 needs to start drinking Golden Milk pronto, here is our beloved Nital with her family’s recipe. She started drinking Golden Milk as a kid growing up in India and still makes it each night before bed.
- 1 Cup of milk (or substitute coconut milk or almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon dried turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small piece ginger (minced or grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon gee or coconut oil
- honey (optional)
1. Place milk in a saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add turmeric, cinnamon, black pepper, ginger
3. Stir well
4. Let the milk begin to simmer (if you're using coconut milk or almond milk make sure you didn't over heat, just on medium heat for all the spices to blend).
5. Turn the heat off and allow the mixture to sit for couple of minutes
6. Strain the milk through a strainer (optional) in a cup
7. Add gee or coconut oil and serve warm
Here’s more info on the ingredients:
Turmeric is a potent anti-inflammatory, supports healthy digestion and liver function, protects the heart and brain, supports the immune system, relieves inflammation, support nervous system, helps heal wounds and makes benefits the skin and research shows that it can possibly protect against diabetes and cancer.
Black Pepper helps increase the bioavailability of turmeric, making it even more potent and powerful.
Ginger helps to optimized digestion, reduces inflammation and helps take the edge off the bitter turmeric taste.
Cinnamon is high in antioxidants and helps to regulate blood sugar and it also gives a nice chai flavor.
Golden Milk Turmeric Tea is also good for colds, flu and perfect for evening drink just before bed.