We are all a little more prone to stiff joints and more pain in the wintertime because the cold air slows blood circulation. This is even more true if you suffer with arthritis pain. Thankfully there are many things you can do to greatly improve your pain levels and get more enjoyment out of these colder months!
- Get your problem areas covered with warm layers of clothing and then get some exercise! Walking and gentle upper body exercises will improve your circulation and reduce pain.
- Make food work for you by decreasing inflammation.
- DO eat: berries, dark chocolate, olive oil, greens and cruciferous veggies like broccoli and cabbage, bell peppers and chili peppers.
- DON’T eat: heavily processed snack foods, fried food, and stay away from sugar
- Get acupuncture! Our providers that specialize in pain know very well how effective a few extra sessions can be during this time of year for our arthritis sufferers. Acupuncture applied to the affected joints reduces inflammation and improves circulation to give you lasting relief.
- Take turmeric. We stock a superior supplement called Curapro which has a higher potency of curcumin and is easy on the stomach. With Curapro we have seen remarkable success with pain relief as patients report needing a lot less pain medications to control their arthritis and chronic pain. Ask your practitioner about it or stop by and pick some up! It’s a game changer!
- Try a topical blend of herbs like Evil Bone Water or Tiger Balm. These formulations contain herbs to increase circulation and improve healing when joints are inflamed. You can both of them for sale in our offices!