How Do I Make an Appointment?
To make an appointment for your initial consultation or transfer treatment at our Chapel Hill office call (919) 933-4480, for Raleigh office call (919) 854-7311.
What Makes an Acupuncturist a Fertility Specialist?
You will notice that many clinics offer infertility care as part of a long list of "specialties." Triangle Acupuncture Clinic stands out for many reasons. We are the first and only clinic in the Triangle to have infertility care as a primary specialty. For the last 18 years Triangle Acupuncture has worked closely with each of the fertility clinics in the Triangle to integrate holistic care into mainstream infertility treatment. Both Katherine Rowe, founder and supervisor of the fertility program at Triangle Acupuncture Clinic, and Patrick Marron, LAc are certified by ABORM, The Acupuncture and TCM Board of Reproductive Medicine. Each diplomat of ABORM has demonstrated a high level of competency in the clinical application of acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Medicine as it pertains to current ART practices and has passed a board certification. In addition, each diplomat is required to complete continuing education each year pertaining to the western and eastern medical approach to treating infertility. Click here for more information on ABORM. As a patient of Triangle Acupuncture Clinic's Fertility program, you will find that our practitioners are familiar with all aspects of infertility from the highly technical reproductive procedures to the natural, holistic approaches. Our passion is helping you build your family.
How Many Treatments Will I Need?
This is a great question! It is also difficult to predict and depends on your health issues surrounding the trying to conceive process. For couples trying to conceive naturally, we recommended thinking about it in terms of a three month commitment to acupuncture and Chinese medicine. During this time, we may use basal body temperature charting, ovulation tests, etc and also help communicate with your doctor to perform any needed diagnostic testing to confirm a diagnosis. Typically we see women (and men if indicated!) weekly, or 2-3 times each cycle. Three months is a reasonable amount of time for you to see measurable results when there are issues with the menstrual cycle.
For couples trying Clomid or Letrozole, IUI or IVF cycles we will work with you as soon as you can get in. There are so many potential things you can start doing on your own to improve your fertility naturally that we want you to get started asap. This might include dietary changes, exercise modifications, and the addition of supplements or Chinese Herbal medicine. Weekly acupuncture treatments leading up to the start of a cycle can help with blood flow and better performance during medicated attempts. A more tailored plan will be made as your schedule is outlined for these procedures with your fertility clinic.
Most patients see positive changes in their health as soon as after the first or second treatment whether it is better sleep, less PMS and a decrease in stress & tension.
Does Acupuncture Hurt?
Acupuncture in general is not painful. The needles are extremely thin (about the width of 2 human hairs), solid, disposable and flexible. Sensations that patients normally experience are a dull ache or tingling which is associated with the movement of energy stimulated by the insertion of the needles. This is a desired affect and should not feel painful. First-timers are usually uneasy about the prospect of needles and have a hard time believing that needles will be able to help you attain a deeply relaxed state. Do not be afraid! We are very gentle and interested primarily in your comfort. Once you feel (or don't feel) the first needle, all your fears will vanish.
What Happens at the Initial Consultation?
All of your questions are welcome and will be answered at your initial consultation. The first visit lasts approximately one hour and fifteen minutes and you can expect:
- You will discuss your fertility and menstrual history, as well as daily habits such as digestion, sleep and exercise. Bring any information you have easily available such as BBT charts, lab reports, etc.
- Your pulse and tongue will be read according to traditional Chinese principles — these two physical assessments give your acupuncturist valuable information about your blood and body systems.
- Acupuncture treatment may consist of needling points on your lower back and legs and/or your abdomen, arms, legs, and head. The treatment may or may not also include the use of electrical stimulation of the points. This is a very gentle and relaxing addition to the needles which promotes circulation in the reproductive organs. The needling itself should be painless and sometimes a heavy or achy sensation will surround the location of the needles. This is a positive sign that the treatment is effective and overall it should be a deeply relaxing experience.
- You will have time to discuss any questions you may have and review the treatment plan designed for you. This may or may not include a prescription of Chinese herbs.
- Subsequent visits will include acupuncture, updates and check-ins on diet and lifestyle health and we will continue to aid in any way needed as you navigate your fertility journey.
Costs and Insurance Coverage
We are now accepting health insurance and can bill your provider directly if you have acupuncture benefits. If you would like us to consider you for insurance billing, please click here and you will be taken to our insurance verification portal. After you enter your info, we’ll email you directly and let you know what your plan’s coverage is!
Please know that everyone's health insurance plan is different, and until your benefits are verified, we can’t confirm your specific acupuncture coverage. We should have your verification status within 24-48 hours. Thanks for your patience!
Until your insurance is verified, payment is due at the time of treatment. If you do not have insurance coverage, you may use an HSA card and/or pay out of pocket at our cash rate.
Fertility Initial Consultation and Treatment: $140
Fertility Return Visit Treatment: $90
Transfer Day Treatment (if performed at your fertility clinic): $250